Special Education Programs
Connections and Connections/Opportunity
Formerly known as Behaviour and Learning Assistance and Behaviour and Learning Assistance/Opportunity.
This programming supports students displaying chronic, extreme and pervasive behaviours. Students require close and constant adult supervision and a high level of structure to function in an educational setting.
- Develop and demonstrate positive behaviour and social skills
- Achieve academic goals
Students must be in Grades 5 or 6 with severe emotional and behavioural challenges, and a clinical diagnosis. Contact your child’s school for information about eligibility and specialized programming.
Evansdale houses a large in-school Pre-Kindergarten program to help support the diverse needs of the community. Pre-Kindergarten supports children with severe delays, aged 3 to 5 years. Programming focuses on cognitive, self-help and social skills, speech and language, and motor development. Parents and staff work together to support each child. Please contact Chris McNeill at the school for more information.
More information available in our Pre-Kindergarten Handbook.
Pre-Kindergarten builds children's strengths and skills in a playful, language-rich environment. The program is for children with severe needs who are between the ages of 2 years and 8 months and 4 years and 8 months old by September 1 of the year they are attending.
- Learn to express themselves, share and problem solve
- Improve communication and motor skills through specific intervention, exploration and guided activities
- Build social skills and confidence in a playful and welcoming environment
- Discover new experiences, friends and a love of learning
- Half-day classes
- Specialized support from speech language pathology, occupational therapy and physical therapy, when needed
- Playful and engaging learning environment
- Flexible instruction based on children’s needs and interests
REGISTRATION FOR PRE-KINDERGARTEN
To register for Pre-Kindergarten, your child will need to meet program eligibility requirements based on an assessment or diagnosis from a healthcare provider.
If your child has a report from a qualified professional, or has been directed to contact an early childhood service provider by Alberta Health Services, please contact the office for further information.